Welcome to the second instalment of my Behind the Brand Blog Series.
This week I’m delighted to be introducing our all-time favourite, family-owned mobile catering service, Woody and Bec from Vanteen Catering. This husband and wife duo brings forth a unique and exciting concept to deliver their passion for food and excellent service in a van! A vintage 1978 van in fact! With extensive culinary knowledge, they provide restaurant quality food and impressive cooking techniques with a world of flavours. The result? Mouth-watering food that guests rave about!
Woody and Bec have been kind enough to share their insights and professional advice and allow us to get to know them and their company that little bit more…
- Tell us a little bit about yourselves and your company? My background has always been customer service, making face to face connections with people, managing staff and organising. I started off in the hospitality industry when I was 16 and this is when I met Woody – a young apprentice chef at the time. We’ve been together ever since – dare I tell you the time you can guess my age? That was 18 years ago! Travelling Australia, 2 children and a business together we are still loving life and working together with Vanteen Catering – me managing the floor, orders, event planning etc and Woody cooking his amazing food and managing our team of chefs on board the van. Woody’s always worked in the kitchen, and always had a passion for good food. Working with a number of high end restaurants throughout our travels in Australia and one well known celebrity chef in Noosa – his dedication to his craft has now seen us growing a lot of garnishes and as many vegetables we can for the food we serve. Nothing beats the look on someone’s face when they bite into something delicious!
- What do weddings mean to you? We love all things weddings, the florals, the design, the planning, the couples, the loved up guests it all holds a special little place in our creative hearts. I personally love the first look of the couples when they enter their reception, the serving of their first drinks as husband and wife, their first wedded meal, so many firsts and we get to be a part of that – I think that in itself is something pretty darn special.
- As a professional in the wedding field what are your top 3 tips to couples?
- Communication – picture everything you think your vendor may need to know about your day – then tell them more. Any true professional in the industry will want to know everything they possibly can about you so they can make sure their services are tailored to suit you 100%. If they don’t want to know – don’t hire them.
- Don’t stress – with the right vendors even if something doesn’t go to plan on the day – your vendors will pool together and fix the issue without making you aware of it (see tip 1)
- Flexibility – allow your vendors to make suggestions to your brief after all we have collectively served 100’s of weddings and know what will and won’t work (see tip 1)
- What are couples main questions and concerns when they approach you? We always hear concerns and questions in the planning stages. Questions like will everyone be fed properly and satisfied – our answer is always. We would never allow you to choose a package which will under feed your guests. What about dietary requirements? No stress, choose what you want and we will alter dishes to suit those guests needing alterations – if you need a full vegan menu, let us know and we will write a menu just for you.
- What’s been the highlight of your career so far? We really feel proud to have achieved something that we have always dreamed of doing – our own business. We are so proud of what we have built and are honoured each time a couple chooses us to take care of them.
- What would you like to see more of in the wedding industry? An understanding of value in the product on offer. So many of us put 110% into our work, it can be quite upsetting when we are asked to heavily discount our prices.
- Five things you’re both loving in life at the moment?
- Time – we’re playing more games with our kids and reconnecting watching our kids bond during this time is amazing!
- Sunshine – we’re growing up a storm in our vegie patch
- Space – the tranquillity of living on acreage in paradise
- Community – our fabulous Sunshine Coast community is so supportive of local businesses
- Our couples – We’ve been blessed with some awesome couples. I think together we’ve managed to work through something huge with this and it has brought us closer – we can’t wait to serve these weddings I think they are going to be something that little bit extra special.
We would love to help you with any questions you might have about your upcoming wedding! You can contact our team here to get make your vision a reality or check out our wedding pinterest boards for more inspiration.